Elaine Ashley - Bristol, UK Fairtrade Network

Last morning :( We are just about to hearing from a very important minister - but I did not catch who or which ministry. Tip for future conferences - it is a real help if the name and role  of the speaker is on the screen behind . ( not always easy to arrange I know ).

Bruce Crowther has now joined him on stage - apparently now elevated from the father of the FT Towns movement to the grandfather of the movement.

Now some awards taking place - missed a bit due to a glitch with translation tech - but all back on line now. Saarland University gets FT status. Again if the name of the award winner and what the award is for was on the screen behind it would be easier to take in. Sometimes the end of the translation is blotted out by the clapping as the translator catches up.

Snatched conversation with Franc from Neumarkt (spelling possibly not accurate) about the move to shift the focus of fair trade away from being geographically focused to just focussing on inequality and targeting marginalised producers where ever they may be. This was timed well as the workshop that I just came out of was on this topic - and generally discussing the direction of Fair Trade and the need for change if we are to have any real impact. I feel as if I have had a ' Damascus ' experience this weekend as I came totally opposed to this thinking and I am now converted - I think.

Comments